Saturday 22 September 2012

Lets Cook - Pulled Pork.

Hi there Folks,

Today I'm going to share with you how I make pulled pork. I saw the original recipe whilst watching Food Network UK (you can find that here) and decided to adapt it a little to what I had in my cupboards and what I knew myself and my boyfriend would enjoy.

My boyfriend follows a low carbohydrate diet and so therefore the creamed beans in the recipe were out of the question. So I served my pulled pork with cheesy swede mash and pan friend sprouts as I know he thoroughly enjoys these low carb foods.

On with the recipe....you will need:

A pork belly joint (whatever size is suitable for your family)

500ml chicken stock

2 onions

Oil (I use canola, but olive is fine)

Salt and Pepper



Now the first step I'd never done before until I read the original recipe, but I've tried it twice and had some yummy crackling so I'll keep doing it. You need to boil a full kettle, hold your pork belly vertically with some tongs and pour the whole boiled kettle over the skin of the joint.

I then generously add oil, salt and pepper all over the pork belly and skin and give it a good rub down.

Peel and cut your onions in half and place them in your roasting tray to act as a little seat for your pork belly to sit on.

Place the pork belly on the onions and put into an oven preheated to 220˚C for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes add half your stock and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes. If after this your crackling still looks like it needs a bit of work, add the rest of your stock and return for a further 20 minutes again.

Once your crackling is nice and crispy (be it after the first 40 minutes, or after 60 minutes) turn the oven down to 130˚C and place your pork in for about 2.5 hours. Keep checking and topping up the stock if needed.

Once the pork is cooked, remove from the oven and leave to rest for 15-30 minutes. Once rested remove the crackling and shred. Serve your pulled pork with whatever you do so desire and ENJOY! (I certainly did!)

Ciao for now,

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment